Curd rice or mosaranna veg recipe explained with grade by grade photographs. Curd rice or mosaranna or thayir sadam is ready the use of cooked rice, curd and few different spices. This is a completely easy curd rice or mosaranna Veg recipe without onion and pomegranate.
Today I am sharing an authentic Karnataka cuisine called Mosaranna. This is also known as curd rice. It has a wonderful mix of spices, curd and rice. This is very healthy and cools down your body and easy to digest.
· 1 cup of basmati rice (any kind of rice you can use)
· 3 of cups water
· 1-1/2 cups curd which is unsweetened yogurt, whisk it well
· 2 tbsp of chopped coriander
· 2-3 tbsp of pomegranate arils
· Salt to taste
· 1/2 tbsp of mustard
· 1/2 tbsp of cumin
· 1 tbsp of black gram dal/urad dal
· 1 long green chilli minced
· 1-1/2 inch of ginger finely chopped
· 7-8 curry leaves
· 2 long dry red chillies, broken (optional)
· A pinch of Hing(asafoetida)
1. Wash the rice you are using and soak it for 10 minutes. Then drain the water.
2. In a large pan put 3 cups of rice to a boil and add the drained rice, cover the pan and bring it to boil. When the water bubbles, remove the pan from the heat and allow cooking for 15-17 minutes. If required place a weight over the lid so that the steam cannot come out.
3. After 15-17 mins give a good mash to the rice, it should be slightly grainy. Once the curd is more the rice will absorb it and turn soft and mushy.
4. Add the curd and salt to taste. You can add some green chillies. You can add the chilli at the time of tempering too.
5. Heat oil in a smaller pan for the tempering process. When the oil is hot add in the mustard when they stop spluttering add the cumin and then the urad dal, reduce the heat so that the daal doesn’t burn. Fry up until it turns golden-haired then add the green chillies, ginger and red chillies. Turn off the heat, add the curry leaves and asafoetida/hing, stir once and allow it to cool a bit before adding it to the curd rice.
6. Mix it with the curd rice. Check the salt. You can add a little bit of sugar if you want.
6. Transfer the curd rice into a serving dish, garnish with chopped coriander and pomegranate. Serve warm with pickle and papad.